Sunday, September 11, 2011

Painting with light and then painting with paint

Hi friends,

So, I wrote about 2 assignments. The first one was the first project we did in an intro to photography class that I took over in Ireland. Basically the assignments was to learn how to use the enlargers and how to create photograms. I created these by moving my hands over the paper as it was being exposed. I liked it because it felt like painting. Also it felt like a dance. It was a very joyful thing so I made dozens of them and then I dyed them blue. Here are a few.







The other assignment I wrote about was my independent painting project which lasted 2 semesters and wasn't so much an assignment as it was me painting whatever I wanted to. During the course of the year I switched from painting from my head to painting from life and from other source material. I find the two processes to be very different and I find I am most satisfied with what I do when I do both at the same time. Below are a few of what I painted last year.









1 comment:

  1. Emerson,
    As I said in the studio, if you love to paint and are interested in where these paintings are going, you should continue in this path. The paintings have more density and vigor than the drawings I think. But I know that the drawings are a way of looking and discovering. I would use the figure drawing sessions to really understand the volume, mechanics and density of the figures. I wouldn't be so concerned with line quality but on using your lines and other elements to really connect with the figure and understand the structure. Bring in more materials to work with and experiment with them. And have fun painting!
    Don't forgot to identify some artists you're interested in for your next blog.
    janie

    ReplyDelete