Friday, November 4, 2011

The Breakup

Oil painting and I are officially on a break. We hope that with some time apart we may be able resolve our differences. Listen, it's not my fault that it's such a high-maintenance medium. Like, ERG, sometimes I swear . . .

In the mean time, I've taken this opportunity to see other media. Here are some small acrylic paintings I did this week. They are 7"x11" and on paper.




These can take me from 1 to 4 hours to paint, whereas an oil painting can take me . . .  Honestly I don't even know. An absurd amount of time. And I think you can see the freshness in these. You can see they were done quickly and there's something immediate about that that I like.

Also as a result of my break up with oil painting I've been drawing more.





I was really excited about this last drawing. I feel like it walks on that line between tenderness and something more sinister. Like you're not sure if what's happening is good or bad. That really interests me, because I think that's how life often is, or that's how relationships can be. They're more complicated than how they're sometimes categorized. Life isn't good or bad. It's both. I always find it contradictory.

Timekeeping:

Figure Drawing : 1.5
Oils: (before the break up) 3 
Drawing: 5.5
Acrylics: 10
Grant Proposal: 0.5

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you need a sandbox in your bedroom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the color in the small acrylics and the scale relationship between the brushstroke and the images they create. it looks like it feels right to you. the sinister/tender thing is interesting so let it come into the work,and also include other emotions if they come in too.
    janie

    ReplyDelete