Saturday, October 29, 2011

Faces, Acrylics, and Bad Photos of OK Drawings

This week I worked a lot on this painting. We're not fighting as much any more, but I'm not really sure I know where it's going either. It's looking a little zombie-like, which isn't really what I want, but I like the way the paint is starting to build up and the faces are starting to look convincing.


I worked for a while with acrylics on paper, which is really fun sometimes because you can get so much done so quickly, since the drying time is really fast. Acrylics can be less scary too, because I won't have to wait a couple of days to be able to cover up a mistake.



And I went back to figure drawing this Saturday.



This week we went as a class to the art history library to practice our browsing skills. I went away with more books than I could carry. Artists I am now looking at are:

Rembrandt (by most standards, probably the best painter who ever lived)
Toulouse Lautrec (Who I've always been pretty sure was awesome, but now I'm positive)
Andrew Wyeth
Glenn Brown
Nigel Cooke

And I had to leave Lucian Freud behind, mostly because he was too heavy. Freud's paintings can be amazing, but to me a lot of them can be painfully redundant . . . Like he needs to be a better editor. This is especially apparent when flipping through a book of face after face after face . . . But maybe that's just me. He has moments of brilliance though, certainly. Here's my favorite painting by him:


The light is like, Whoa! And the faces are so sensitive . . . While other times they just come off as goofy to me.

Time keeping:
Painting 10 1/2
Figure Drawing 3
Acrylics 3
Copying Rembrandt 1
Working on grant proposal 1 1/2



1 comment:

  1. Go Emerson! Multiple figures in paintings are so interesting because they can create stories. We're focusing on that in my drawing class right now. Way to go just keeping this blog besides practicing your thang. xo

    ReplyDelete