Thursday, October 20, 2011

Progress

Hey guys,

Not a whole lot to report, just been plugging away. Took a break from the painting that was giving me problems but I didn't mange to take a break from painting like I said I would and ended up working on this guy:





And I think it's going pretty well. I think the tricky thing will be to make sure I'm portraying movement and not just creating a three-headed monster. But hey, even if that happens, I suppose I'd be okay with that.

I finally got back to the Saturday figure drawing session. I tried working bigger with charcoal. Here are two that look kind of okay.



And here's a drawing I did in my sketchbook. All of last semester I hardly did a drawing outside of my sketchbook, but since IP for some reason I switched to working mostly on loose paper. There's something really nice about working in a book though. It's very personal. Maybe because you can't hang it on a wall, so your audience is limited to whoever is holding the book. It's intimate.

I like books a lot. So much that I have to destroy them. If you want to see what that looks like you can go here.


Timekeeping:
Painting: 7 hours
Figure Drawing: 3 hours
Drawing in studio: 2.5 hours

1 comment:

  1. Emerson, in Ireland I don't think I told you enough how much I love your art. Your style is how I dream of painting. I know you're not done with it, but I could look at this painting forever, as is. Like you said, the colors are kind of gross, individually, but together they are spectacular. I wish we still went to school together so I could creep around in your studio and watch you, and maybe absorb some of your awesome skill through osmosis.

    <3
    Chelsea McClanahan

    ReplyDelete