Friday, October 7, 2011

Some Greenness

Erm, okay, so I'm already late on my Thursday claim. But in my defense, I'm lazy and easily distracted.

Here's what I've been working on:


This painting was super fun. Painting without subject matter is a really good thing to do sometimes; It really loosens me up, and it makes the other paintings come easier. Also, it teaches me so much about how paintings evolve, how to make them interesting . . . Yadayada composition yadada. Plus, if you work in acrylic, you can do a painting in like, super-speed. I'm gonna work on this one a lot more. Right now I'm pretty sure the colors are really gross.


I also think the colors in this one are sort of gross, but I think it's a good example of how I want to paint movement. This is the same figure, but his head is overlapped over its self in two different positions. It's kind of a cubist technique, but it doesn't look very cubist.




And you've seen these before, but they are developing. I'm going to try to work back and forth with the compliments, from red to green and back to red again, and see if that works. Also, if I haven't told you, I'm colorblind. So, if I do something super weird/ stupid with color, I'm gonna go ahead and blame it on that. But feel free to let me know.

Oh, and I made this drawing. It has almost every material in my studio in it, but most of what you see in the end is acrylic paint.


Time keeping:
Painting: 13.5 hours
Drawing: 2 hours
Photographing and photoshopping: 2 hours
Hanging stuff up in my studio: 1 hour (you probably don't care about this)

1 comment:

  1. HI Emerson, good to see your painting. Just paint, paint, paint. You are special with your colorblindness. If I were you I would explore that because no one else can. Sadashi

    ReplyDelete