Monday, December 19, 2011

The End Part One

So, IP world.

Recently, I've been bad at just about everything in relation to you and I'm sorry about that. If I were into excuses, I would tell you that it's because of this short story that I had to write, illustrate, print, and bind, for this other class, and otherwise I would have been right on top of things, but I'm not into that so just forget about it.

The faculty consultation went well, I'd say. Key points that I'm remembering right now:

-I made the claim that faces and hands were the most expressive parts of the human body and that was why they play such a dominant role in my paintings and drawings. Robert Platt spoke of a performance artist (name to come) who is able to give tremendous life to every part of his body. The point being, that maybe I shouldn't be too quick to dismiss elbows, and feet, and ribs, or other less noticed parts of us, and that perhaps they too can have great emotive power.

-The fracturing and distortion can be happening a lot more. I need to be more willing to let go of parts of the human form. I have so much information on the canvas that I can afford to be less specific at times and it won't necessarily affect clarity of the figures.

-Splattering and dripping is easy but it's also not easy, because it's easy for it to look quite contrived. Maybe the splatters should look as if they are simply the result of the painting process. Maybe they should just be the result of the painting process.

We talked about many other things too, but the points listed above I hadn't thought of, or at least had not been considering them recently. I think addressing these issues will help me move forward.

In all, my faculty group was very constructive and encouraging. It was a good experience and I'm thankful for their time.

I'm looking forward to next semester when I will have only 13 credits and 0 of them will be Logic courses.

Over the break I will begin the process of applying to residencies and will also continue portraits of my family that I began last summer. I am feeling happy and optimistic :) Though, I have a dentist appointment tomorrow :(

*Happy Holidays*

1 comment:

  1. Emerson, sounds like you got a lot of constructive feedback, there are a lot of photographers who use form, not really at all in the same fashion as you but maybe you see how a different body part was used or focused on. Check out Edward Weston's and Edward Steichen's work, not all similar in concept but you never know, also go to this website, you may find inspiration in their work and it's a really cool website.

    http://louviereandvanessa.com/grotesk/index.html

    ReplyDelete