Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dead car batteries and misplaced jackets

Hi friends,

This week I worked more on this painting. I think it's going well, but it's still really early on so I don't know that I have much to say about it.




I worked on that other one with the two faces too, and I think I really brought it back to life, so that's good. I have a picture of it, but it's on my camera which is at the studio, and right now my car is dead and I don't want to take the bus because I left my coat at this party and it's life effin subzero out there right now. But honestly, I will probably do that soon anyway because I've got an itch to be a paintin'.

anyway.

I also made this drawing, which I really like:


And I went back over this drawing. I drew it as seen on the left a couple of weeks ago, right when I started drawing again on loose paper, but before I really knew what I wanted these drawings to be. It was okay at the time, but looking at it again the other day I really didn't think it was that awesome. So I went over it again, smudging and erasing and redrawing and then at the end using a little linseed oil.

I still don't really like it that much, haha, but it has more of the atmosphere that I've been looking for. It looks evil now, or something. Am I right? Yeah, kind of an evil drawing.



This one's more like it.


I'd really like for my paintings to become more like this, in that, the background isn't so much abstract as it is an atmosphere.

Someone who does this really well is this painter I went to school with in Ireland. Hannah Hill (http://hannahhill.4ormat.com/the-blizzard) makes these really haunting figurative paintings that exist in a sort of dream space. It's not abstract, but it's also not of this world. They are really great.

Oh! And as a final note, I've started altering a book again. I thought I needed one more thing to work on, because I felt myself getting stuck at times, and really, what a silly thing to do, to be stuck, because there's so much out there waiting to be created. Anyhow, I glued a bunch of pages together, and ripped out others, and soon I'll start painting and drawing on them. Hopefully I will have images by next week.

stay warm.

timekeeping:
painting/drawing/gluing/ripping:15 hours

1 comment:

  1. Emerson,
    Working on the book sounds like a good thing to do for a change of pace. The drawings are beautiful. I like what you're doing with the tones and linseed oil. Go see Pina and get inspired by what she does with hands and arms. I know that I suggested you get into other body parts, but another way to go is to get even more into the hands as in more eccentric and specific gestures. Why not do some large drawings, think of them as paintings but do what you're doing in the drawings on a somewhat larger scale - not too much larger, but growing gradually in scale. Perhaps use those beautiful browns that you have used or a very limited use of color, but use it in the same way that you're using the drawing materials and linseed oil, more like washes..
    Janie

    ReplyDelete